Hwy 55 Case Study
Hwy 55 Case Study
Hwy 55, the official restaurant of National Hamburger Day and National Cheeseburger Day, is a retro-themed diner that features fresh, never frozen hand-pattied burgers, house-made frozen custard, and other classic favorites in a unique open-kitchen setting.
Founded in Goldsboro, North Carolina in 1991, Hwy 55 reflects founder Kenney Moore’s commitment to authentic hospitality, incredible service and the world’s best burgers.
Hwy 55 currently has 135 locations in 12 states, Denmark and the United Arab Emirates. To explore the franchise opportunity visit: www.hwy55franchise.com
The leadership team at Hwy 55 Burgers Shakes & Fries was frustrated. Several years trying to generate and scale a large number of leads to catalyze a national expansion had yielded precious little for their significant investment of treasure and time. And of the leads they got, only a handful spoke with them month to month. Hardly enough to meet their expansion goals. Like a poorly performing truck, something wasn’t right, but the right diagnosis continued to elude this successful 26 + year old restaurant franchisor.
Things began to change after engaging Franchise Pipeline Solutions (FPS).
The FPS Discovery Analysis uncovered several key pillars of their franchisee recruitment philosophy were out of alignment.
To fix what ailed Hwy 55, FPS recommended addressing:
- The quality of their storytelling
- Their approach to lead generation
- The introduction of an intelligent lead management system and best practices to make franchisee recruitment highly productive, manageable and accountable
- Find in their story what makes the Hwy 55 brand special in the marketplace
- Vividly bring the Hwy 55 story to life for online visitors
- Tell a complete story, leaving no important information out about Hwy 55
- Improve lead generation
- Convert to a new franchisee lead / prospect management system
- Discovered and wrote a story about what makes the business culture of Hwy 55 special so potential owners could grasp the firm was a lot more than just another burger flipping franchisor
- Launched a dedicated Hwy 55 franchise website to create a richer storytelling experience with vivid photography and complete information about their franchise opportunity
- Revamped where lead generation budgets were invested, and how the Hwy 55 opportunity was shared at selected online lead generation portals
- Focused recruiter attention on these most interested prospects to improve productivity and effectiveness
- Implemented a highly-automated means of communicating, tracking and scoring leads to find the 8-10% of leads most interested in the Hwy 55 story
- From June to November, 984 new leads were generated from selected franchisee recruitment portals
- Upon launch in June 2017, 6,230 archived leads up to four years old were put into a reactivation program
- 107 leads or 10.46% showed medium-high interest in the Hwy 55 story
- 282 archived leads or 4.5% reactivated and showed medium-high interest in the Hwy 55 story
- A rich pipeline has begun developing for sales in late 2017 and into 2018
- In just a few months, Hwy 55 signed one new master licensee and entered into agreements to open in seven international markets
“How it’s working for me”
“I grew up in this business and know every aspect of it. However, franchisee recruiting involves learning a set of specific skills that have nothing to do with running the business. I learned all of them, but applying the old traditional techniques just wasn’t delivering results for me.
We’d pay good money to generate leads and then no one called me back. The frustration was intense. I was a good example of insanity…you know doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
I knew something had changed in the market, but I couldn’t put my fingers on it. FPS helped me see what had changed and how our approach to franchisee recruitment had to change too or we’d continue to suffer the same performance disappointments.
Today I work every day with FPS Pro Prospector, which helps me find the 8-10% of people most interested in our story. Then many schedule a call with me when they’re ready to talk. Just imagine how that’s changed my life. The deal flow looks great going into the new year.”
– Guy Guthrie, Senior VP Franchise Recruitment
Download your FREE eBook
By Dug Aylen, Co-Founder & COO
These reports showcase important aspects of recruitment pipeline activity. These critical performance metrics are often scattered; if available at all.
Download the Whitepaper
By Paul Keiser, Co-Founder and CEO
Fast growing brands can easily slip into one or more of these traps as they tackle the challenges of rapid growth. Avoid them or risk hitting speed bumps along the journey.
Download the eBook
By Dugan Aylen & Paul Keiser, Co-Founders
We’ve compiled over a decade’s lessons learned on how to work effectively with franchisee lead generation portals. Download our eBook and find out how portals can deliver better results for you.