What Works; What Doesn’t?
What Works; What Doesn’t?
There are two categories of texts: automated (everyone gets it) and 1:1/small group. Each has its own unique set of key learnings.
Text Messaging Results
Here are several examples that exemplify the types of results possible. The Inbound Text metrics below represent legitimate text messages, not stop messaging. An individual can and does send multiple text messages. The average is 1.5 messages per individual. So, extrapolating to the number of leads responsive to text messages.
New Leads: 1,310
Inbound Texts: 241 = 18.3% of New Leads
Estimated # Individuals: 160 = 12.2% of New Leads
New Leads: 2,158
Inbound Texts: 400 = 18.5% of New Leads
Estimated # Individuals: 267 = 12.4% of New Leads
New Leads: 4,203
Inbound Texts: 2,080 = 49.5% of New Leads
Estimated # Individuals: 1,386 = 33.0% of New Leads
Our clients have sent an additional 6,572 outbound texts to individual leads, in addition to their automated messaging programs. Presently clients have unlimited use of text messaging.
Text Messaging Strategy Tips
- Make sure your emails and texts are arriving. You never know how your lead’s Mobile Service Provider (MSP) , like Verizon or AT&T, your lead’s Internet Service Provider (ISP) or personal Email Client (EC) like Outlook or Gmail will handle automated outbound text messages. Are your texts reaching their mobile device or getting treated as spam? To increase your odds of success, we’ve developed dozens of business rules that govern which message, and under which circumstances, an automated text is sent to a lead. It’s getting harder to “trick” or SPAM the Mobile Infrastructure these days.
- Do your automated texts read like a machine wrote them? Does your lead read it that way? We’ve developed text copy writing best practices, so the text message looks like it was written by a person. That includes not just the words we use, but use of typos, no punctuation and abbreviated phrases like “cya later”. We’ve even got opt out language that looks like a real person wrote the phrase themselves.
- Be careful what you ask for. Asking to schedule a call right away via text may hook you a few fish. But most new leads aren’t ready to talk on minute one. Our early text messages ask if they’re receiving your emails and asks them to check their junk/spam folder if they haven’t seen them. These automated emails tell your story. Why is that strategically important? We’ve learned, so you don’t have to, that a text message that asks them to look for your email does two things: a) it improves how quickly they’ll take a look at it and b) it improves the open rate for your emails. We’ve seen email open rates go from traditional average percentages in the low 20s to the mid-30s even up to 45% or more especially for your strongest early story emails (i.e. emails 1-4).
- Another strategic advantage of integrating texts and emails is that 75-80% of initial contact and research is taking place on a mobile device. People have their phones with them almost every hour of the day. So, a ping for a new text message gets looked at far faster than an email. When you combine the two, they work synergistically to improve the odds your lead will pay attention to your email.
- Scheduling a Call? You can ask your lead to schedule a call via text. However, until you establish early interest in your story, don’t expect much. With outbound screeners and aggressive call back efforts, we’ve learned that getting people to agree to intro calls is relatively easy. Showing up is another story. Then you’re off to reschedule hell. Most calls scheduled too early end up in “now shows” and disqualification. And if you’re a small or emerging franchise brand or a growing franchise broker, that’s time you don’t have to waste.
- Since we don’t financially qualify every lead, we’ve developed an alternative business development methodology that identifies what we call “serious leads”. These are leads acquired by purchase, referral, shows, etc. who by their behavior (we monitor three types of behavior) show serious interest in the story you send them. Doesn’t mean they’re qualified, but it does mean they are engaging with your key messages.
- Texting questions is one of the ways serious leads hold up their hand. If a lead sends you a legitimate question by text, consider it a flashing yellow light that says slow down and pay attention. On numerous occasions a prompt answer to a real question or two breaks down that initial engagement shyness and results in early trust and more productive intro calls.
Our system integrates 1:1 and group text messaging, advanced marketing automation (combining email and text), behavioral tracking and scoring (some actions are worth more than others), auto call scheduling to eliminate phone tag and a world-class CRM to handle incoming leads plus candidate task and sales communication management. Our systems do so much more than a simple CRM, while eliminating the confusion, clutter and complexity of other systems.
Recruitment Reports No Franchisor Should Live Without
Download your FREE eBook
By Dug Aylen, Co-Founder & COO
These reports showcase important aspects of recruitment pipeline activity. These critical performance metrics are often scattered;
if available at all.
Accelerate Franchisee Growth…Expand Faster
How many more new franchisees would you like?
Discover the impact faster growth can have on your franchise brand in a few simple steps...
Five Franchisee Recruitment Traps to Sidestep for Faster Growth
Download the Whitepaper
By Paul Keiser, Co-Founder and CEO
Fast growing brands can easily slip into one or more of these traps as they tackle the challenges of rapid growth. Avoid them or risk hitting speed bumps along the journey.
Franchisee Lead Generation Secrets Revealed
Download the eBook
By Dugan Aylen & Paul Keiser, Co-Founders
We’ve compiled over a decade's lessons learned on how to work effectively with franchisee lead generation portals. Download our eBook and find out how portals can deliver better results for you.
Franchise Pipeline Solutions Services Summary
Download Now to Compare Services
Integrated CRM and marketing automation solutions for startups, young and emerging franchise brands and franchise brokers with an emphasis on "personal branding".